Monday 17 March 2014

Translator Post

Hello everyone! This week I have got the Translator Role. So, I have to summarize the five most important words of the week. We have to do a task called “The Dark Side of Text Books”, and we decided to do a comic to present this interesting topic. According to this, and after seeing a lot of webs about textbooks and their problematic, for me, the most important words are the next:
  •  Editorials: They do business with education through textbooks; families spend a lot of money buying them each course and for us this is immoral according to the economical situation in our country. Most editorials are just worried about earning money and they do not think in children and in their education.
  • Teachers: The problem of textbooks is not caused only by editorials. During many years, teachers used textbooks as the only resource in school; most of them cannot survive to their lessons without them and is a big problem for the society. They have to be able to use other resources, especially ICTs; they offer many advantages as less weight, more information and reduced cost.
  •   Ideology: The textbooks are in many times influenced by the political situation of the moment or the type of editorial which create it. It is very worrying because children grow influenced by the way of thinking of others and not by themselves. It is an error because they do not have open-mind in most cases and in the future we do not have citizens with their own ideas, they just follow most powerful people.
  •  Children: They are the most harmed with this situation. With textbooks they really spent a boring time in schools, they do not learn to think by themselves, the reality is just what the textbooks say. Their teachers do not offer them an enjoyable time outside the schools learning by experience for example, or the pleasure of discovering any interesting knowledge by themselves, for this reason, they are not comfortable at schools, and most of them do not like it. They should enjoy learning but the reality of schools is quite different.
  • Textbooks: Nobody knows why textbooks is nowadays the most important resource in education, maybe because of the laziness of teachers who do not want to think a bit in their methods of teaching. But, and because other reasons, children are limited in their way of learning and discovering a lot of interesting concepts, textbooks think for them so, why they would do an effort?



I must say that I have learned a lot of with this task, I really like what I have discovered about the situation of textbooks and this has helped me to change my perception of schools reality. I think it is very useful for me when I become teacher in order to improve my methodology with children, not limitation myself to the typical lessons we are used to, I’m looking forward to put all this knowledge in practice! We have many things to learn and this is just our beginning as future educators.

 I hope you have enjoyed our work, best regards.



No comments:

Post a Comment